carlsons
- In 1939 Hans and Julia Carlson founded the family business when they erected their first glass and steel greenhouse on their property in East Irvington. The structure came from an estate in Dobbs Ferry and was built by Lord & Burnham of Irvington, NY.

- In 1946 they puchased the property on Dobbs Ferry Road (our present location) and built the first greenhouse, which still stands along our driveway today. The building which now serves as the main entrance to our shop was the original potting shed.

- In 1955 the Lord and Burnham house from
East Irvington was moved to our present location, and was erected next to the original greenhouse. It is the largest of our glass houses. The rest of our glass houses: the front house, the
 
back house, the current potting shed, and the third of our parallel houses were all added
in 1962.

- In 1978 Hans and Julia retired to their farm in Pine Plains, leaving the family
business in the very capable and caring hands of their son, Charlie.

- In 1987 Charlie's daughter Nancy opened the retail shop in the front house. Before then, the business had operated as Elmwood Greenhouses which was wholesale only and not open to the public. She named the business "H Carlson Florist" after her grandfather.

  

carlsons

Web Site Maintained and Hosted by WilliamMahony.com